Esurance, an Allstate company, was one of the first insurance companies that allowed customer to buy Esurance Auto Insurance online. Since it issued its first policy in 1999, it has expanded to insure residents in 43 states and also offers homeowners, renters, and motorcycle policies.
Rather than having to work with an agent to get a quote or purchase insurance, Esurance allows you to buy your policy completely online. By selling directly to consumers, Esurance is able to reduce its costs and pass those savings on to customers.
Esurance Auto Insurance Pros & Cons
- Potential savings for drivers who switch insurers
- DriveSense discount
- Rideshare insurance available
- Lower-than-average customer satisfaction rankings
- Cancellation fees apply
- Not available in all states
- Potential savings for drivers who switch insurers –If you currently have insurance with another company and switch to Esurance, your savings could be significant. According to the company, drivers who switched to Esurance saved $462 on average.
- DriveSense discount –If you sign up for the DriveSense program, you automatically receive a 5% discount. Based on your driving habits, you could qualify for more discounts through the program.
- Rideshare insurance available –In select states Esurance offers ShareSmart, a rider you can add to your policy to get additional protection if you drive for services such as Uber or Lyft.
- Lower-than-average customer satisfaction rankings –Esurance had a low ranking in the J.D. Power U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, with a rating below the industry average.
- Cancellation fees apply –Many car insurance companies allow you to cancel your policy without penalty, but Esurance will charge you a cancellation fee if you end your policy before its expiration date.
- Not available in all states –Esurance only offers car insurance policies to residents in 43 states. If you live outside of its service area, you’ll have to get coverage from another company.
Things To Know About Esurance Auto Insurance
- Esurance was started in 1999, but it is now a part of Allstate.
- The company is headquartered in San Francisco.
- It sells insurance products directly to consumers through its website.
- Besides car insurance, Esurance also sells homeowners, renter’s, and motorcycle insurance policies.
- Esurance only offers car insurance to residents in 43 states.
- Year Founded1999
- Official Website: www.esurance.com
- Insurance Offered: Auto, homeowners, renters, motorcycle
- Customer Service Phone: 1-800-378-7262
Types of coverage available from Esurance
- Pay-as-you-drive plan: DriveSense
- Pay-per-mile (Oregon only)
- Travel trailer
- Classic vehicle
- Golf cart
- Umbrella liability
Esurance auto insurance discounts
- Multi-policy discount: Have a homeowners or motorcycle insurance policy in addition to your auto policy gets drivers a discount. Both policies get a discount; savings vary.
- Paid in full discount: Pay your premium in one lump sum when you buy or renew your policy and get a discount of up to 10 percent.
- Switch and save discount: Switch to Esurance from another auto insurer, without a gap in coverage, and save up to 5 percent in many states. Discount lasts for first to policy terms.
- Fast 5 discount: Start a quote online at esurance.com to get a 5 percent discount off your first-term premium.
- Online shopper discount: In Illinois, Utah and Virginia, if you start your quote online, you can receive a discount for being an online shopper. (Discount amount varies)
- Homeowners discount: Own a home and obtain a discount on your auto insurance.
- Renters Plus discount: If you’re an Esurance auto policyholder and rent a home, condo or apartment and get a renters policy with Esurance, you can save by having 30 percent of your renters coverage premium is deducted from your car insurance rate.
- Emergency road assistance discount: You could save up to 5 percent on your premium by buying emergency road assistance from a provider other than Esurance, such as AAA.
- Claim-free discount: Specifics vary by state but most common qualifications are:
- All drivers on the policy have gone at least 60 months (five years) without an at-fault accident claim or DUI/DWI conviction
- At least one person on the policy has 5+ years of driving experience
- You had other car insurance at the time you bought your Esurance policyIn some states, comprehensive claims under $1,000, glass-only claims, and emergency road service claims won’t disqualify you from the discount in subsequent terms.
Depending on your state you could get a 10 to 25 percent discount.
- Pac-12 discount: You can save up to 15 percent on your premium if you attend or are an alumni of any of these Pac-12 schools:
University of Arizona, Arizona State University, University of California at Berkeley, University of Colorado Boulder, University of Oregon, Oregon State University, Stanford University, University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), University of Southern California (USC), University of Utah, University of Washington, Washington State University
- Defensive driver discount: Also called mature driver, driver improvement or accident prevention course discount and typically applies to older drivers who have completed a defensive driving course. You can save up to 10 percent off certain coverages and is good for three years.
- Good driver discount: Hold a driver’s license for three years with one or zero penalty points and get 30 to 40 percent discount.
- Good student discount: Full-time high school, college or university students under 25 years of age with at least a B average can receive up to a 10 percent discount on liability, collision, and medical payments coverages.
- Multi-car discount: Insure more than one car on the same Esurance car insurance policy to receive a discount.
- Anti-theft discount: You can receive a discount of 5 to 25 percent off your comprehensive coverage for having an anti-theft device in your vehicle. Requirements vary by state; in some a simple alarm will count, while in others a vehicle recovery system is needed for the discount.
- Safety device discount: You can save between 2 and 33 percent on medical payments and PIP coverage if your vehicle has manufacturer-installed airbags or automatic seat belts.
- Antilock brakes discount: Get a 5 percent discount if your vehicle has antilock brakes.
- DriveSense discount: Install a telematics device to have your driving monitored and you can receive a discount. The discount is of 5 to 10 percent for signing up, and then you earn a personalized discount each subsequent policy term, based on your driving.
Esurance Auto Insurance Coverage Options
Esurance offers multiple insurance options so you can customize a policy that fits your unique needs. Whether you want a simple, affordable policy that meets state minimum requirements or a more robust policy, you can buy coverage for your vehicle through Esurance and get peace of mind.
With collision coverage, your vehicle is covered if you’re in an accident with another vehicle or object.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damages to your vehicle that occur beyond accidents, such as storms, floods, or vandalism.
3: Emergency Roadside Assistance
If you’re stranded on the side of the road due to a flat tire, dead battery, or because you ran out of gas, emergency roadside assistance can help. Esurance’s roadside assistance will cover up to $75 per incident.
Liability coverage gives you protection if you’re in an accident with another party and are at fault. There are two parts:
- Bodily Liability –Bodily injury insurance pays for the other party’s damages, including medical expenses and lost wages.
- Property Damage Liability –Property damage liability pays to replace or repair the other party’s vehicle or property.
5: Loan/Lease Payoff
Loan or lease payoff insurance is another term for gap insurance. It pays for the difference between your car’s cash value and what you owe on your loan or lease.
6: Medical Payments
Medical payments coverage will pay for the medical bills of you and your passengers if you’re injured in an accident, regardless of who was at fault.
7: Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
PIP, which is required in some states, is also known as “no-fault coverage.” It’s insurance that pays for your medical expenses, regardless of who was at fault in the accident. It typically covers you before your health insurance kicks in, paying for ambulance rides, hospital charges, and lost wages.
If you drive for Uber or Lyft, you may be able to get coverage with Esurance’s ShareSmart policy, car insurance for rideshare drivers. It covers you when you’re not protected by the rideshare company’s insurance. ShareSmart is only available in California, Illinois, and New Jersey.
9: Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
If you’re in an accident with someone who is uninsured, doesn’t have adequate insurance, or who leaves the scene without giving their information, uninsured motorist insurance and underinsured motorist insurance provide essential protection. They pay for repairs to your vehicle when the other party is uninsured or lacks sufficient insurance.
- Citizens Bank Student Loan Login: How To Manage Your Account - January 28, 2022
- Student Finance Login: How To Manage Your Student Finance Account - January 27, 2022
- Tax Free Childcare Login: How To Access Your Childcare Account - January 27, 2022