Auto insurance companies offer discounts to help lower insurance rates in order to retain customers. One of the most popular insurance discounts is the use of telematics and usage-based insurance programs like Allstate’s Drivewise program. People always ask; Is Drivewise Worth It? In this article, you’ll learn about the Allstate telematics tracking system, which requires you to download the Allstate mobile application that works with a hook-on device. See how this program can help you save money.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, telematics devices and applications give drivers the option to receive insurance rates customized to their driving habits. For drivers who want to save money, there is a financial incentive to drive less and more carefully.
Drivewise also offers a nice benefit to the insured as it can allow you to receive an additional discount with safe driving. You can also receive custom insights to your driving habits. Simply by downloading the app and driving safely you can receive cash back rewards as often as every six months.
What Is the Allstate Drivewise Program?
Allstate Drivewise is a usage-based telematics program by Allstate Insurance Company. It measures whether you have safe driving behaviors behind the wheel, then rewards you for them. New members can receive a 10 percent discount on their car insurance premiums for signing up.
The program promises that safe driving habits may earn up to 25 percent in cash back and discounted car insurance rates. In an Allstate Drivewise review, blogger Cody J. Murphy, who enrolled in Drivewise, said the program saved him $200 on his insurance premium. Others have had similar successes.
The program tracks driving behavior through two methods. The first is a small Allstate Drivewise device installed in your car’s Onboard Diagnostic Port (OBD-II port). The technology tracks driving habits, braking patterns and time. Once installed, the Allstate Drivewise device transmits this information to the car insurance company.
The second way the company tracks your information is through the Allstate Mobile app. Users can download it onto cell phones. It is compatible with the following operating systems:
- iPhone iOS 12.0 or higher
- iPod Touch
- Android 7.0 or higher
The company uses the data it collects to calculate your discounted car insurance rate.
The program is not available in every state. Current Allstate policyholders should contact their local agent to learn whether the program is available in their area. But if you want to compare standard car insurance rates to save money, shop with SmartFinancial.
What Features are Available in the Drivewise Mobile App?
Allstate Drivewise offers additional benefits to drivers. Here are other features that the insurance company provides:
- Allstate Digital Footprint – This feature show allows you to manage your private data. It also shows you how other companies use your information. Allstate also gives users the option to sign up for different identity protection services.
- Digital Car Insurance Card – Drivewise stores digital copies of your Allstate car insurance card and insurance information.
- Drivewise Driving Insights – It provides insights into how you drive. It also tells you whether you’ve earned safe-driving discounts. The program allows you to delete trips in its app. For instance, users can delete trips incorrectly attributed to them.
- Roadside Assistance – Allstate provides drivers emergency help when their vehicles break down through their Good Hands Rescue program. The application allows drivers to call for help after their car breaks down. For instance, you can call for lock-out assistance, jump starts, towing and flat tire changes. The program is available through a membership plan, or each time you use the program as part of your insurance policy.
- Diagnostic Functions – The device gives maintenance alerts and reminders to drivers. For instance, this device will notify you when your car’s engine has a mechanical issue you should fix. You can even make an appointment to get your car fixed through the Allstate Drivewise app.
- Parking Assistant – Allstate Drivewise has an option that reminds you where you’ve parked your car at a facility.
- Real-Time Alerts about Unsafe Driving –The program will monitor your driving habits when you’re behind the wheel. It tells you whether you’re driving too fast or tailing another car too closely.
- Gas Finder – Do you need to fuel up your car? This function helps you connect with gas stations in your area.
- QuickFoto Claim – The app helps you to take pictures when filing a claim. You can also save a copy of your auto insurance information.
- Crash Detection – Drivewise has a crash detection feature that can tell when you’ve been in a serious accident. It will notify the insurer, who will send a notification to offer you help.
How Does Allstate Drivewise Work?
Every time you drive your car, Drivewise monitors your vehicle’s speed once it reaches 20 mph. You don’t need to do anything: it runs in the background on your cell phone or other device, and doesn’t interfere with any other activities, such as making phone calls.
The app records three characteristics: your speed (safe speed is considered anything under 80 mph), braking, and the time of day.
The app uses about the same amount of battery charge that other navigational apps use, so it doesn’t drain your phone’s battery. Allstate does recommend that you plug your phone in to charge while you’re driving, though. The company also notes that it uses little data, and that is only uploaded at the end of each trip when the phone is connected to the internet, either Wi-Fi or cellular.
Along with the mobile app, Allstate will send you a small device, about half the size of a pack of cards, that plugs into your dashboard.
This device assists in monitoring your car’s activity, and can also serve a diagnostic function, helping you to know when something has gone wrong, and even making an appointment for it to be fixed.
Is Drivewise Worth It?
Unlike other carriers, Allstate Drivewise offers savings without risking a rise in insurance rates. Other usage-based companies increase rates based on the telematics data they gather. This program offers rewards and savings to good drivers without increasing their rates if they have a poor on-the-road driving performance.
Drivers without a policy can also use the app to track and improve their driving skills. They also find out if their skills could result in savings with the insurance company.
Who Can See Your Allstate Drivewise Data?
The program saves a lot of personal data, although it won’t affect the performance reward you’ll earn. It transmits the following data and driving habits to the insurance company:
As the app user, you’re the only one who sees your trip. There is no location services information available to the individuals who service your policy. Other information Allstate uses to evaluate your driving performance is only viewable to you, your Allstate agent and the customer service representatives.
Allstate Drivewise Reviews on Reddit
Reddit users have a split opinion on the app. In their Allstate Drivewise reviews, some customers say the app has saved them money and provides them with numerous cash back rewards. In one Allstate Drivewise review, a program participant claimed he earned almost $2,000 in cash back rewards.
Others have said the app hasn’t resulted in any discounts or savings on their insurance rates, due to hard braking or speeding episodes. Another Reddit reviewer claimed in their Allstate Drivewise review that he didn’t receive a discount because of his travel during moderately risky commute hours, which could’ve meant lots of stop-and-go’s.
Who Can I Contact for Help?
Do you need additional help using your Drivewise device? You can contact Allstate’s customer support team at (877) 431-7670 for support. If you decide drivewise works for a safer driver than yourself, compare cheap insurance rates instead.
What Are the Pros and Cons of the Allstate Drivewise Program?
The plugin was initially a device similar to programs used by other insurance companies. Today, Allstate now offers the Drivewise Program as a mobile app. Here are some things we found in our Allstate Drivewise review:
- No insurance premium increases – Allstate won’t raise your rates, unlike other telematics programs.
- Open to most drivers – The program is available to any driver. Any person can use the program.
- Non-customers can use Drivewise – Non-customers can download the app and use it but they won’t save money unless they sign up for the Allstate Rewards program.
In our Allstate Drivewise review, we found the following drawbacks:
- Not Available in All Areas – Allstate Drivewise insurance is available in only 24 states.
- Terms and conditions differ depending on your location.