JCPenney Credit Card Application: How To Apply For JCPenney Card
Applying for a JCPenney credit card is easy to do online. The JCPenney Credit Card Application process is so simple that it shouldn’t complicate you. However, in this post, you will learn everything you need to know about the JCPenney Credit Card Application, how to apply for JCPenney Credit Card online, in store and also the tips for getting approved for the JCPenney Credit Card. So lets get started.
Wait, in our previous blog post, we wrote about the JCPenney Credit Card Login steps, how to make your JCPenney Credit Card payment Online, by phone and by mail for those who already have the card. Since you are looking for how to apply for JCPenney Credit Card then continue reading below.
Everything You Need To Know About the JCPenney Credit Card
The JCPenney Credit Card, issued by Synchrony Bank, could be a compelling option for fans of department store credit cards. Here’s what to know before you apply.
Straightforward points for your purchases: When you pay for your in-store or online qualifying JCPenney® purchase with your JCPenney Credit Card, you receive one point for every $1 you spend. Plus, purchase exclusions for earning rewards are minimal.
Automatic rewards: When your account hits a balance of 200 rewards points, you’ll automatically be sent a $10 JCPenney Rewards certificate that you can use toward eligible purchases at JCPenney. That works out to a rewards rate of 5%, which is pretty nice. And rewards certificates should be available electronically within 24 hours of reaching the magic 200-point mark.
Unlimited rewards that you can stack: There’s no limit to the number of JCPenney Rewards certificates you can earn. Plus you can redeem up to 10 JCPenney Rewards certificates — that’s up to $100 in rewards — on a single purchase in store or online.
Points that never expire (as long as you keep spending): Your rewards points will stay with you if you keep your JCPenney Rewards membership active by earning points at least once every 12 months.
Exclusive deals: Eligible JCPenney Rewards members will receive notification of members-only offers such as bonus points opportunities, coupons and even a special birthday offer.
The JCPenney Credit Card isn’t without its drawbacks. Watch out for these not-so-great features.
- High purchase APR: This card comes with an interest rate that’s no joke — 25.99%. If your balance carries over month to month, your interest due could be astronomical.
- Cap on your transactional earnings: If you’re hoping to rake in the rewards on a huge single purchase, think again. You’re limited to 2,000 Rewards Points per transaction, regardless of the price of your purchase.
- Ticking clock on rewards certificates: Your points may not expire while your account is active, but those $10 rewards certificates don’t last as long. Note the expiration date on each certificate you have — and be sure to use your rewards certificates before that date.
Pros Of JCPenney Credit Card
- No annual fee
- Earn 1 rewards point for every $1 spent at JCPenney or jcp.com
- $10 in JCPenney Rewards for every 200 points you earn
- Tons of ways to exclusively save at JCPenney
Cons Of JCPenney Credit Card
- High purchase APR
- Reward points don’t expire as long as you earn points at least once every 12 months
- Rewards certificates expire within a few months
- Card can only be used at JCPenney and affiliated stores
Should You Apply For JCPenney Credit Card?
The JCPenney credit card can maximize your rewards if you enjoy shopping at JCPenney. It’s best, however, if you are able to pay off your balance each month before interest takes effect. The card has a 26.99% APR, which is steep if you carry a balance.
As with most store cards, there’s zero benefit to carrying this one if you’re not a regular shopper at JCPenney. And if you tend to carry a balance from one month into the next, you could wind up paying more in crazy-high interest rates — considering the card’s 25.99% purchase APR — than you recoup in rewards.
But JCPenney fans can enjoy the deluge of special deals and the 5% year-round store rewards rate. With many savings events for card members only, the JCPenney Credit Card rewards shoppers who can’t stay away.
JCPenney Credit Card Application: How to Apply Online
Follow these steps to apply for a JCPenney credit card so that you can start enjoying rewards and other benefits from your favorite store.
- Go to the JCPenney credit card application website.
- Provide your personal information. You must also include your annual income and whether you rent or own your home. As long as you’re over age 21, you can include all of your household income, including rental income or income from your spouse.
- Select any options you want included with your card. You can elect to receive electronic statements, add an authorized user or sign up for card security, a credit card insurance feature that pays for your minimum balance or potentially your entire balance under certain circumstances.
- Click “Continue” to submit your application.
You could be instantly approved and receive your card within seven to 10 business days. You can use your account 24 hours after approval if you bring a valid photo ID to the customer service area in any JCPenney store and ask for a temporary card. Some applications take longer to approve, however, and JCPenney will contact you by mail within seven to 10 business days.
JCPenney Credit Card Application: How to Apply in the Store
You can visit a JCPenney store and apply in-person with an associate if you prefer. The information you need to submit will be the same. For convenience, use JCPenney’s store locator to find the nearest store. For questions, contact JCPenney’s customer support at 800-542-0800.
JCPenney offers special sign-up bonuses for its card. For example, if you’re approved, you get 15 percent off your purchases that same day. Your credit line depends on the strength of your application, but you can always request increases or decreases later.
Tips for Getting Approved for the JCPenney Credit Card
Although you don’t need above-average credit to qualify for the JCPenney store credit card, you do need to keep track of your credit score and the information on your credit report. You can get a free copy of your credit report at AnnualCreditReport.com.
Review your credit report carefully for old information that should be removed or other errors. Contact the credit bureau to find out how to get the information removed or corrected.
You can also pay down your debts, including charge-offs or collections, which can help improve your credit score over time.
JCPenney Credit Card Contact information
If you have specific questions about Applying for a JCPenney credit card or about your JCPenney Credit Card account that are credit-related or account-related- including changing your mailing address-and you can’t find what you’re looking for in this post, please call JCPenney Credit Services at 1-800-542-0800.