Use the NMLS login page to access the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System online for posting new properties, tools, tips, news and updates from NationwideLicensingSystem.org.
The Nationwide Multistate Licensing System is an online database for financial services licensing or registration in participating state agencies which include Washington, DC and the United States outlying territories of Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and Guam.
Your NMLS login is a approval system used by companies and individuals that need to submit an application for new licensure, renewal of existing licenses, and surrender of licenses. NMLS does not itself grant any licensing, it is only a database.
- Nationwide Insurance Login: How To Login, Pay Bills Online
- Nationwide Online Banking Login: How To Access Your Account
- Nationwide Mortgage Login: How To Make Your Mortgage Payment
The Nationwide Multistate Licensing System is the exclusive provider of licensure for mortgage companies for 58 state agencies as well as the exclusive system of licensing for Mortgage Loan Originators (MLOs) for 59 state and territorial agencies.
According to the official website, “Over three-quarters of the states also currently manage additional license types through the System in the money services business, debt and consumer finance industries.”
With a NMLS login, there is also access to the “system of record for the registration of depositories, subsidiaries of depositories, and MLOs under the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s Regulation G (S.A.F.E. Mortgage Licensing Act – Federal Registration of Residential Mortgage Loan Originators), published December 19, 2011.”
The system is maintained and managed by the State Regulatory Registry, a subsidiary of the Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) and the American Association of Residential Mortgage Regulators (AARMR) since 2008.
NMLS Login Steps
Logging In for the First Time
- Enter the User Name and Password.
- Click the Log In button.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are a first-time user, your user name and temporary password were sent to you from NMLS_Notifications@statemortgageregistry.com when your user account was created. Due to the cryptic nature of the temporary password, you are encouraged to utilize copy and paste functions directly from the temporary password email notification.
button. Upon the first log in, the temporary password must be changed. Re-paste the temporary
password in the Current Password text box.
How To Change NMLS Temporary Password
Create a new password meeting the following criteria:
The New Password must be between 8 and 16 characters in length, and contain characters from 3 of the following 4 categories:
- English uppercase letter (A to Z)
- English lowercase letter (a to z)
- Numerical digit (0 to 9)
- Special character (#, $, ^, etc.)
Click the Change Password button.
The system will prompt you to create a security question and answer. The password required when setting up the security question is the new password, changed in Step 5.
Click the Change Security Question and Answer button.
- The NMLS Home tab will open upon successful log in, password change, and security question creation.
Forgot Your User Name
- From the NMLS Log In page, select Forgot your User Name?
- Enter the e-mail address associated to the record and the NMLS ID.
NOTE: Only users with an NMLS ID number can request their user name through the self-help feature.
- Click the Submit button.
Forgot Your Password
- From the NMLS Log In page, select the Forgot your Password? link.
- Enter the characters from the image and click the Next button.
- Enter the User Name and click the Next button.
- Provide the correct response to the Security Question, and click the Next button.
- A new password will be sent to the e-mail address for the record within the system.
- Click Login and enter the username and new temporary password.
NOTE: Due to the cryptic nature of the temporary password, you are encouraged to utilize copy and paste functions directly from the temporary password email notification.
For further assistance please contact the NMLS Call Center at 1-855-NMLS-123 (1-855-665-7123).