Principal Financial Group is an American global financial investment management and insurance company headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa, U.S.A. However, the Principal 401k Login portal allows you to register or login to manage your. The online portal gives you a secure access to tools and resources to help you manage your plan and your account online.
Read our downloadable guide carefully and completely. It contains important information that should answer most of your questions about registering or logging in to manage your Principal 401k account online. Keep in mind, though, that like this website, it only gives general information. It is not the law. It is not a regulation. It is not legal advice.
How To Register to Access Your Account Online
To use the Principal 401k Login portal, you must Create your Principal 401k online account including a user name and password which you will use to log in to the system.
- Enter your first name, last name, date of birth, phone number (this is the quickest way to verify your identity, as they’ll simply text you or call you with a unique verification code), and your ID number (this is either your Social Security Number or a number provided by your employer) or zip code.
- Agree to do business electronically.
- If the phone number you provided doesn’t match their records, you’ll need to verify your identity by answering a few questions administered by a trusted third-party (Principal® does not have access to the information shown in this step of the process).
- Create a unique username, secure password, and provide an email address.
- Select and answer 3 customer service security questions they’ll use to verify your identity if you need to call them.
- You’ll get a confirmation email within a few minutes.
- Once you get that email, you can log in and access your account online.
Businesses & Auditors: If you manage retirement or insurance plans for employees at your company. To create an employer or plan sponsor account, watch for an email from your Principal representative and click the link provided.
- 877-475-3436 (retirement) Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. CT.
- 800-843-1371 (group insurance) Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT.
Financial Professionals: You help businesses and individuals make informed financial decisions. Contact them to create a username and password for your Advisor account. Or call 800-554-3395 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT.
Third Party Administrators: You provide certain administrative services for a retirement plan. To create a third party administrator account, watch for an email from your Principal representative and click the link provided. Or call 800-554-3395 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT.
3(16) & Plan Administrators: You manage plan and fiduciary items for multiple retirement plans and/or adopters. To create a plan administrator account, watch for an email from your Principal representative and click the link provided. Or call 800-554-3395 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT.
Dental providers: You am a dental provider or work in a dental office. Create a provider account Or call 800-621-6280 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT.
Custody Solutions: You are a custody account owner, investment manager, or auditor. To create a custody administrator account, watch for an email from your Principal representative and click the link provided. Or call 800-986-3343 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. CT.
Note: The first time you log in, you’ll need to set-up 2-factor authentication by choosing how you want to receive verification codes; text, voice call and/or an authenticator app. They’ll ask for a verification code if you log in from an unrecognized computer or phone, forget your password, or the identify anything out of the ordinary. These codes help them confirm it’s really you accessing your account – not someone pretending to be you.
Principal 401k Login Steps
Logging in is the most essential thing you need to know if you are talking about online activities. Logging in is very easy; all you need to do is enter all the correct details. So, if you want to know how to log in, then follow the following steps:
- Click “Log In” at the top right corner of any Principal.com page.
- Enter your username and password.
- Click the “Log in” button
- Follow any instructions provided.
If you forgot your username:
- Go to the Forgot username page.
- Choose “Employers & Plan Sponsors” as your role and click “Continue”.
- Enter the email address you use to do business with us, and we’ll send you an email with your username.
If you forgot your password:
- Go to the login page.
- Click the “Forgot password?” link under the Log in button.
- Enter your username.
- We’ll provide you a verification code by text, business email, voice call, or an authenticator app. Which one we send it to depends on the option(s) you registered.
- After you’ve correctly entered your code, you’ll be prompted to reset your password.
- You can then use this new password to log in to your account online.
Your account information with Principal is kept secure and confidential through multiple security features and procedures:
Your company and employee account information can only be accessed with a combination of your unique username, password, and verification code. It’s your responsibility to keep your login information confidential.
- Don’t share your username or password with anyone. They’ll never ask you for your password.
- Never keep your password where others may see them.
- Contact them immediately to change your password if you suspect someone has discovered it.
- Their website uses 2-factor authentication to verify your identity when logging in and is strongly encrypted, ensuring that your communications and sensitive information stays private and protected.
Your account information is not permanently stored on their web server. It is, however, permanently stored on their highly secure corporate network systems.
Need More Information…?
Send them an email, or give them a call.
- Help with retirement plans: 877-475-3436
- Help with group insurance products: 800-843-1371