In this post I will show you how to apply for American Express Business Card | How to fill out an Amex business card application, Eligibility requirements, Information you will need when applying, Personal information, Business information: Continue reading as I explain everything in detail.
Why Everyone Should Consider An American Express Business Card
Similar to the personal cards, the small business cards are a great way to earn Membership Reward points or Starwood Preferred Guest points on everyday spend. However, the small business cards are superior in a few regards:
- The small business cards offer higher sign-up bonuses than the personal cards, some with a first year annual fee waiver
- The referral program is usually more rewarding than the personal counterparts
- The cards are eligible for repeat welcome bonuses (can cancel and reapply at a later date to receive the welcome bonus again, which was recently limited to once per lifetime per card on the personal cards, as per the terms and conditions)
Which American Express Business Card Would I Recommend?
Well, there are 3 actually, and each could serve a purpose depending on your travel goals, spending habits, and comfort level in paying annual fees for additional benefits.
The American Express Business Gold Rewards Card
Currently my favourite of the small business cards and a product I recommend almost everyone get. Currently offering:
- 30,000 Membership Reward points after spending $5,000 in the first three months of membership
- Comprehensive travel/purchase insurance
- Earn 10,000 Membership Reward points per eligible referral
The Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card
The SPG card is another one of my favorites since I consider Starwood to be one of the best reward programs for Canadians (especially when redeemed for hotel stays or transferred to Marriott). Highlights include:
- Earn 2 SPG points for every dollar spent at Marriott and SPG properties, and 1 SPG per dollar on everything else
- $150 annual fee (not waived)
- Earn 5,000 SPG points per eligible referral (can cross-refer to the personal SPG card)
The American Express Business Platinum Card
This used to be my favorite American Express Business Card for the generous welcome bonus and increased referral opportunities, though recently American Express made some changes to the card and increased the annual fee, so it’s now not as competitive as the Personal Platinum card, though still worth considering depending on your travel goals. Highlights include:
- American Express is currently offering 75,000 Membership Reward bonus points on the Business Platinum Card when you spend $7,000 in the first 3 months of Card membership.
- Earn 1.25 Membership Reward points per dollar on all purchases
- Comprehensive trip/purchase insurance
- Access to American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts
- Priority Pass Airport Lounge Membership
- Marriott and Starwood Gold Status
- Earn 15,000 Membership Reward points per eligible referral
- $499 annual fee (not waived)
How To Apply for American Express Business Card
- I am aged 18 or over
- I have a permanent address in the UK
- I have no County Court Judgements for non-payment of debt and neither does my business
- The business has a current UK Bank or Building Society account
- For Business Gold Card or Business Platinum Card:
- I will pay the annual Cardmembership fee of: £125 for a Business Gold Card or £595 for Business Platinum Card
- I understand that I will not be eligible for any Welcome Bonus award if I currently hold or have held any Membership Rewards-enrolled American Express Card in the past six months
Information you will need when applying
You can apply for an American Express Business Charge Card online. To make the process as quick as possible, ensure you have the relevant information you need before applying.
On the application, the personal details section is where you tell them about yourself. You will need to provide personal information including the following:
- Your personal annual income
- You will be asked whether you have an existing American Express Card and if so, please provide the Card number. This can help to speed up the decision-making process.
The business details section of the form is where you tell them about your business, including:
- Business trading address
- Full registered name of the business, registered trading address as well as the company registration number, where applicable
- If relevant, details of all individuals who own or control 25% or more of the company’s shares or voting rights (even if these interests are held indirectly)
- Details of all Directors/ Partners/ Committee Members/ Officers, where applicable. If the business is run by a sole trader, you will need to provide details for this person
To complete the application process, they may request additional details for verification and authentication.
As soon as you’re approved and your Card arrives, activate it and then you can start using your Card.
To apply for one of the available business credit cards, you should follow the instructions that are as below:
Open this URL: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/business/business-charge-cards/ in any internet browser to get to the official American Express Business Credit Cards page.
Once there, please scroll down the page a little, and click “View All Cards” button on the right-hand side under “Business Cards” title.
On the new page, you will have all 14 business cards on your computer screen along with a blue “Apply” button. Once you have found your desired card, click its “Apply” button. After that, complete just complete the application form and follow prompts to complete the credit card application.
See Also: American Express Credit Card Login
American Express business cards can be very beneficial additions to your wallet, so hopefully, this is useful for anyone who hasn’t yet applied for an Amex business card. Even if you’re not someone who has applied for Amex business cards in the past, you may be pleasantly surprised by the results.
At the moment there are some particularly good offers on Amex business cards, especially for the Delta cards, Hilton cards, and the Amex Business Gold.